Saturday, January 5, 2013

Australia

Well, I'm starting to settle in here in Perth. The training starts tonight, and while I cannot claim that my body is ready for days at what is apparently called "the Nazi base," I am very excited to see what God has in store for me here.

Tonight is the first official meeting, and I must confess to mixed motives in my anticipation. As it turns out, it is entirely possible to survive 90-100° weather without air conditioning. Whether such survival is comfortable is an entirely different matter.

The house I'm staying in is built in what I'm told is the typical Australian fashion - high ceilings and brick walls to drawer the hot air up and insulate yet inside by a few degrees. It is beautiful, but very obviously an old house. There are cracks running through the walls that make me think of Doctor Who. ;)

The cockroach situation here is plentiful. I have a strange fascination with the little bugs. I am reminded of WALL-E every time I see one.

Let's see, other news. I feel bad for not recording any spiritual experiences, but as the program hasn't officially begun, there is not much to report on that front. In other news, the mosquitos down by the river are just as bad as at home in the northwest. Apparently, the river is full of dolphins and jellyfish, but I didn't see any when I went down last night.

The beaches are shut gotten for jellyfish and shark infestations at times, but that hasn't stopped one of my house mates from being stung on the lip. I'm going to think long and hard about swimming here. ;)

Actually, who am I kidding? We all know I'll end up swimming in jellyfish-infested waters. Think of the bragging rights!

Overall, I like the people I'll be around for the next six months. Never fear, I've yet to meet anyone who could possibly replace all my mates back home. I'm beginning to think it's impossible. I have too many quirky, unique and gorgeous friends in the states. Not to say that people here aren't gorgeous or extremely cool... I'm just going to readjust to being the strangest person in the group. Woot!

I'll get some photos of three holiday up soon.

Until then, stay cool!

1 comment: